eAuction
  Not just another Perl script
Google
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

If you use eAuction a lot and like it or if you make money from eAuction or from eAuction-related activities ...
then the project asks you for a donation in favor of the further development.

The forums are protected by
AccessControl
(written by Dieter Werner)
Click here if you want to check your IP against the most important RBLs of the net.
Click here in order to visite the AccessControl forums.

<< Visit the international e Auction Marketplace >>
Buy and sell PC and Consumer Electronic components

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Remarks (Read 589 times)
patnovack
eAuction User

I Love Perl

Remarks
11/26/06 at 00:17:22

Ok, I am going to put in my two cents.

1st let me say, I dont use eAuction, however I did start off with the account first script from phonewire at the core, I actually am just now learning about the eAuction and Dieter cause of recent problems you were having with attacks. Ive had this character trying to do something to a couple of my auctions sites as well. I believe cause of the different setup in architecture and file names he hasnt had much success other than some bogus listings where he would overun the item names and leave me with bad pictures that he would load up into the gallery, featured items to get them to my front page. Couldnt believe someone would even tooken the time to sign up under three different names and the like. He signed up on another one of our sites and the girls in the office reconized him right away.

My hat goes off to you Dieter, your a great man for all that your doing online.

As for the comments about contributing code; well were a company called Detroit Metro Area Networks, and this is serious business to us, we spend about $8000 a month just in advertisement here, so as we work on great code for our sites, were not actually anxious to give it away. There are a few others that we actually consider our competitors out there, however the majority of them we look at as some young guy sitting at his home computer at night and not very serious. This might explain your above comments to some extent.

Ps- after reading all your comments, I no longer am sure that our nemisis is the one and the same. My bad guy I believe is based in Jackson Michigan as far as I can tell. Good luck.
PNovack,
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

« Last Edit: 11/26/06 at 18:27:25 by Dieter Werner »  

Advertising
View Profile   IP Logged
Dieter Werner
Administrator

Dipl. Paranoiac ®

Germany
Re: Remarks
Reply #1 - 11/26/06 at 15:49:42

Hi Patrick,

the use of the original version of firstaccount opens a wide range of security wholes.

I hope you rewrote the code (but that's almost impossible because the names of the variables are very long, very hard to identify and the system uses exclusively global variables).

On the other hand ...
in order to transfer CC data, you have to use a SSL system - did you install it?

« Last Edit: 11/26/06 at 18:29:04 by Dieter Werner »  

Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

Greetings from Germany
Dieter Werner

Advertising
View Profile | WWW   IP Logged
patnovack
eAuction User

I Love Perl

Re: Remarks
Reply #2 - 11/26/06 at 17:41:41

Well actually that is how I ended up at your site. I have the account first from phonewire, their website led me to yours. I was hoping to find a newer version of thier software to implement a megalist. I downloaded your auction script to take a look at the files, but seems alot different, all the variables and file archetecture is much different. But at the same time many parts are the same. In fact your name is listed in a file as the author of a sub routine part that gets random data. So you can imagine how excited I was to find your site.

What I really need is to figure out where to go from here, as far as progression, for the accounting system. You seem to be many years ahead of me in that area. I have one system in cold fusion that claims it can handle the traffic. Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
. But it is not open source and I dont really like it. Where do your users turn when the user load gets to much on the account first system? Did they make a new version that is more robust? Have you looked at going to sql databases?

Pat Novack, Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

Advertising
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 

If you like eAuction, please Rate it.
If you don't like eAuction, please Rate it too.

1 is being poor and 10 is being excellent

EveryScript

ip-location

AccessControl - Members Only